A crown is not “just a crown”… 26mm crowns that are used as closures for the beverage industry are more technical than you might think. There are different profiles available depending on the finish of the container and a variety of liner materials within those profiles for you to choose from.
Here’s an outline of the options and our thoughts on when to use them…
Twist Off (also referred to as Universal or Single Lip)
- This profile can be used on 26mm twist off or pry off bottles.
- The material is PVC and it is softer, less dense and flexible.
- The sealing surface is in contact with only the very top of the container.
Pry Off (Double Lip)
- This profile can only be used on 26mm pry off bottles.
- The material is PVC Free which is more dense and rigid.
- An increased sealing surface on the container as it wraps around the finish.
* Available in both Twist Off and Pry Off profiles
What are the benefits and considerations with Standard Liners?
- Economical / more cost effective.
- High availability.
- If you have a small distribution area (Local or Statewide).
Oxygen Scavenger Liner:
*Available in both Twist Off and Pry Off profiles
This is an active material that consumes the oxygen which is inherent in the headspace regardless of how technically advanced your filling/capping process is.
What are the benefits and considerations with Oxygen Scavenger Liners?
- Will reduce oxygen in the headspace if your filling/capping process is not as advanced in controlling airs.
- Increased shelf life.
- If you have a larger distribution footprint (Regional).
- Activated by moisture (not humidity) at the time of application
Oxygen Barrier Liner:
*Available in Pry Off profile only
This is a passive material that acts as a stop sign. No O2 or Co2 out and no O2 into the container.
What are the benefits and considerations with Oxygen Barrier Liners?
- If you are confident in the amount of airs in the headspace post filling/capping.
- Increased shelf life.
- If you have a very large distribution footprint (National or International).
- The densest polymer and prone to low resistance to shock load which may cause leakers or CO2 egress.
We strongly recommend that you test your crown of choice for compatibility and functionality–and we’re happy to supply samples! Of course once all your technical needs have been met we will work with you on decorating your crowns for the perfect finishing touch.